We recommend that all leaseholders and shared owners get their gas appliances checked regularly.
If you are a 100% leaseholder and rent your property out, it is a legal requirement that you have a valid CP12 gas safety certificate for all your appliances.
What happens at a gas-safety check?
A registered gas engineer will do the following.
- Protect the area around the appliance they are working on, such as using a dust sheet.
- Test the pipes between the gas meter and the boiler or heater for leaks.
- Service all the gas appliances we own (for example, boilers and gas fires) to the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Check the flue that the appliance is connected to.
- Check that ventilation is fitted and that it is not blocked.
- Put all the appliances back together and make sure everything is working.
- Provide a copy of the gas-safety record (form CP12)
within 28 days of the check.
The gas-safety check and service will usually take less than an hour, although this will depend on the number and type of gas appliances in your home.
- keep a record of all safety checks for a minimum of two years;
- if you are a landlord, give your tenant a copy of the gas safety check within 28 days of the inspection; and
- if you are a landlord, make sure you give your tenant a copy of the current gas safety certificate before they move in.
If you need further advice, contact the Health and Safety Executive Gas Safety, contact information can be found by visiting their website.
How you can help us
Gas heaters and boilers need either a balanced flue or proper ventilation so that poisonous fumes can be carried away safely.
We will service the gas installations we own each year, but you can help by making sure that ventilation is kept clear.
You should be very careful with gas or water heaters in the bathroom. Make sure the flue is clear and the room is well ventilated by opening the door or window.
Never try to repair any gas fault yourself.
If you smell gas inside your home, you should do the following.
- Immediately turn off the gas at the meter.
- Do not turn any electrical switches on or off. They can cause a spark which in turn could cause an explosion if there is a gas leak.
- Do not use your phone indoors as it could cause a spark.
- Do not smoke or use a naked flame.
- Open all doors and windows.
- Check to see if you have left any gas appliance on or if a pilot light has gone out.
- Go outside and call the National Grid’s 24-hour helpline on 0800 111 999.